Saturday, 17 January 2015

Reflective Journal Entry 1

CDE is an interesting course about the different cultures in the West and the East. It helps us make comparisons and learn more about each culture. As most of us do live in a country in Asia, we are most probably more familiar with the East and its culture than that of the West. Learning about it would help us have a broader range of knowledge of the cultures of the world and also make comparisons and differentiate between the two cultures.

Through the Cultural Differentiation Elective, I want to have a deeper understanding of both the Western and the Eastern cultures, and which parts of them are different and which parts similar. I also want to learn about how different aspects of the two cultures are applicable in our world today, and how they are relevant in the modern society. Through this course, I want to be able to look at things in different perspectives. I also want to learn more about the differences and similarities in the moral values of the United States of America and China, and how this has affected the modern culture and way of thinking of the people in these two countries today.

We learnt about the importance of the knowledge of different cultures, the American core values, and Google during the CDE classes this week. I find the core American values really interesting as I knew little about it before (other than freedom and democracy, which is the stereotypical American values on the Internet), and learnt that some of them are not very different from the Eastern ones, such as hard work being rewarded and competitiveness and striving to be better than others, which are very common in Asian countries. We also learnt about the way Google designs its workplace not just for efficiency and productivity, but for the employees' comfort and enjoyment, to make them stay at the workplace not just to work more, but also to keep the brilliant ideas the highly-intelligent employees come up with inside of Google. Google also has its unique way of making people interact and brainstorm, which may lead to new ideas. New ideas also come by with Google allowing its employees to have one day per week to work on their own projects. Google also actually listens to employees' ideas and use them. In conclusion, Google has its own unique ways of treating its employees for the benefit of the company.

In conclusion, I feel that the Cultural Differentiation Elective is a very meaningful and enriching course, and I am looking forward to learning more about both the Western and Eastern cultures in the rest of the lessons of this year.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Yu Xin, :D
    I would like to commend you on a job well done. You have expressed your vision for the year ahead and your unhidden desire to learn. You have also effectively summarised what was taught to us for the past lessons. Nevertheless, I would like to ask if you have any self inference of what we are taught/exposed to so far? Like under what context is the America Core Values applicable to our own country or future and what effects or influence has it casts in a global basis? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yu Xin,

    Nice reflection, just a quick question, how do you think the knowledge of both ends of the world will help you in the future? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yu Xin,

    I see that you have a great and detailed summary of the lessons we've had, though I would be interested in what you think about the influences core American values have in our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Henry!! I see that you have provided a good review of what you have done in these 3 lessons so far. Would you mind elaborating on the American Core Values in which you have learnt? What are some of the American Values Google uses? How does it affect the Google Company? Overall, I find that you have provided a very honest review. What would you like to learn about in the upcoming lessons?

    ReplyDelete